Applied Thermodynamics MCQ: Get the most important Multiple Choice Questions on Applied Thermodynamics.
Top Applied Thermodynamics MCQ
1. Which one of the following represents an open thermodynamic system?
(A) Manual ice cream freezer
(B) Centrifugal pump
(C) pressure cooker
(D) Bomb calorimeter
2. The property of a thermodynamic system is a path function.
3. Identify the extensive properties.
(C) Internal energy
4. There is no work transfer involved in this process
(A) Adiabatic expansion
(B) Isothermal expansion
(C) Polytropic expansion
(D) Free expansion
5. A Carnot engine rejects 50% of the heat absorbed from a source to a sink at 27 degree Celsius. What is the source temperature (in degree Celsius)?
6. Among the followings, which one is not a thermodynamic property?
(C) Specific heat
7. Among the following properties, which one is defined by the first law of thermodynamics?
(B) Total energy
8. Among the following scenarios, identify the one which involves an isolated system.
(A) A domestic water heat under switched on condition
(B) A rooftop water tank open to solar radiation, with all valves closed
(C) A mobile phone under charging condition
(D) A sealed bottle of water at 0°C, kept within blocks of ice at the same temperature
9. In what form can energy cross the boundaries of a closed system?
Heat and Work
none of the above
10. On a hot summer day, a student turns his fan on when he leaves his room in the morning. When he returns in the evening, what will be the room’s temperature? Assume all the doors and windows are kept closed.
Room will be Cooler.
Room will be warmer.
There will be no change.
It can not be said.
11. Iced water is a pure substance.
12. A person is cooking beef stew for his family in a pan that is (a) uncovered, (b) covered with a light lid, and (c) covered with a heavy lid. For which case will the cooking time be the shortest?
Same for all the cases.
13. A 600-MW steam power plant, which is cooled by a nearby river, has a thermal efficiency of 40 percent. Determine the rate of heat transfer to the river water.
14. Does difference in enthalpy of saturated vapour and saturated liquid (hfg) change with pressure?
It can not be said.
15. Exergy is the __________________ on the amount of work a device can deliver without violating the laws of thermodynamics.
none of the above
16. Based on the entropy principle, the entropy of universe _________.
is always zero.
none of these.
17. The performance of engineering systems is degraded by the presence of irreversibility and the ____________________ is a measure of magnitudes of irreversibility present during that process.
None of these
18. In a refrigerator, heat is transferred from a lower temperature medium (the refrigerated space) to a higher temperature one (the kitchen air). This is a violation of the second law of thermodynamics.
19. Which of these is not a major component of steam power cycle?
20. Actual cycle efficiency is calculated because of the thermodynamic irreversibility in the processes.
21. The processes associated with the ideal Rankine cycle are-
two adiabatic processes, two isentropic processes.
two constant-volume processes, two isentropic processes.
two constant-temperature processes, two isentropic processes.
two constant-pressure processes, two isentropic processes.
22. The ratio of the pump work input to the work developed by the turbine is
back work ratio.
23. In Rankine cycle, heat rejection obtained from the
24. In the ideal Rankine cycle, compression in the pump is isentropic.
25. Which of the following is not a primary goal of subsystems associated with vapor power plants?
convert electrical power to shaft power.
provide condenser cooling water.
convert shaft power to electrical power.
supply energy to vaporize the power plant working fluid.
26. For a vapor power cycle with a turbine that produces 5 MW and a pump that requires 100 kW, the back work ratio is 2%.
27. With higher back work ratio, the actual cycle efficiency will be less.
28. Work output of turbine is _____________than the work input to the pump.
none of these
Thanks for reading this post “Applied Thermodynamics MCQ“.