Get important and free Applied thermodynamics multiple choice questions with answers. In this blog post, you will get multiple-choice questions on Applied thermodynamics. In the previous post (Set 1), we posted 28 MCQs. This is set 2.
Set 2: Applied thermodynamics multiple-choice questions
1. Among the following statements, which one is FALSE for a closed system undergoing an irreversible process?
Its entropy always increases during a heating process.
Its entropy always decreases during a cooling process
Its entropy can decrease or increase during a cooling process, depending on the magnitude of heat transfer involved
Its entropy always increases during an adiabatic process
2. A system is maintained at a temperature lower than its immediate surrounding. Its exergy is
3. Irreversibility for a heat pump can be defined as
reversible work – useful work
useful work – reversible work
useful work – surrounding work
actual work – surrounding work
4. Joule-Thomson coefficient for an ideal gas is
5.A substance can be used as a refrigerant when
its temperature is greater than the maximum inversion temperature and the Joule-Thomson coefficient is positive.
its temperature is greater than the maximum inversion temperature and the Joule-Thomson coefficient is negative.
its temperature is lesser than the maximum inversion temperature and the Joule-Thomson coefficient is positive.
its temperature is lesser than the maximum inversion temperature and the Joule-Thomson coefficient is negative.
6. Among the followings, which conclusion can be drawn from the Mayer relation?
Isobaric specific heat is always greater than isochoric specific heat.
Difference between isobaric and isochoric specific heats vanishes at absolute zero temperature.
Both specific heats are identical for a purely incompressible substance.
All of the above.
7. Among the following statements, which one is TRUE for a substance which expands on freezing?
It can stay as liquid below its triple point temperature.
It can stay as liquid below its triple point pressure.
It can stay as solid above its triple point temperature.
It cannot stay as vapor below its triple point pressure.
8. Compressibility factor for an ideal gas is
positive, but less than one
greater than one
9. A real gas is likely to resemble the ideal gas behavior at
low temperature and low pressure
low temperature and high pressure
high temperature and low pressure
high temperature and high pressure
10. Density of a sample of water is found to be greater than the density of saturated liquid water at the same temperature. Then the thermodynamic state of this sample is
saturated liquid-vapor mixture
11. Some quantity of water is supplied with 10 MPa pressure and 0.003 m3/kg specific volume. The thermodynamic state of this particular sample can be identified as
saturated liquid-vapor mixture
12. Compression ratio of a reciprocating engine is defined as the ratio of
maximum to minimum pressure
maximum to minimum volume
maximum to minimum temperature
expansion to compression work
13. An Otto cycle is characterized by
isochoric heat addition and isochoric heat rejection
isobaric heat addition and isochoric heat rejection
isochoric heat addition and isobaric heat rejection
isobaric heat addition and isobaric heat rejection
14. Thermal efficiency of an Otto cycle is
inversely proportional to the compression ratio, but directly proportional to the ratio of specific heat
inversely proportional to the ratio of specific heat, but directly proportional to the compression ratio
inversely proportional to both the compression ratio and the ratio of specific heat
directly proportional to both the compression ratio and the ratio of specific heat
15. An Ericsson cycle comprises of
two isothermal and two isentropic processes
two isothermal and two isochoric processes
two isothermal and two isobaric processes
two isochoric and two isobaric processes
16. Among the followings, which one is not considered in fuel-air cycle?
chemical composition of gas
change in gas volume
17. Effect of dissociation is
to reduce cycle thermal efficiency
to reduce specific power output of the cycle
to reduce maximum cycle temperature
all of the above
18. With dissociation, the peak temperature is obtained
at the stoichiometric fuel-air ratio
when the mixture is slightly lean
when the mixture is slightly rich
none of the above
19. With dissociation, the exhaust gas temperature
increases till certain A/F and then decreases
20. The practical efficiency of a good engine is ________ of the estimated fuel-air efficiency.
21. For a compression process with variable specific heat, the peak temperature and pressure are
22. When the spark is advanced, work output is less as
the peak pressure is low
the peak temperature is low
additional work is required to compress the burning gas
frictional losses increases
23. The major source of loss in a CI engine is
direct heat loss
incomplete combustion loss
rubbing friction loss
Get more MCQs on Applied Thermodynamics MCQ
Thanks for visiting our website for Applied thermodynamics multiple choice questions.